3 steps to take after a pedestrian accident

On Behalf of | Apr 10, 2017 | blog

Going places on foot has many benefits, but you are particularly vulnerable in a traffic accident. If a car hits you, you can take steps to protect yourself medically, legally and financially. You may feel disoriented and in shock, but if you are able to follow certain tips, it may help restore your physical well-being and secure the full compensation you deserve. Here is what to do after a pedestrian accident.

1. Document the scene

Properly documenting the accident is one key to improving your chances of receiving compensation for your injuries. Take pictures of the scene, including any noticeable injuries, the car license plate and street signs. Then, call the police and file a police report. Collect important contact information from the driver, as well as insurance information and driver’s license number. 

2. Seek medical attention

If you feel pain after the accident, seek immediate medical attention, and severe pain calls for a trip to the emergency room. Even if you do not notice any pronounced pain or obvious injuries, see your primary care doctor as soon as possible. Some injury symptoms, such as confusion or headache from concussion, may not appear until later, and it is important to treat them as soon as possible. Presenting your medical records to insurance adjusters helps prove that you sustained injuries in the accident. Be sure to obtain documents of all your medical treatment. 

3. Begin your claim

Avoid giving specifics to the driver’s insurance company about your symptoms until you have consulted a personal injury attorney. An attorney can guide you through the process by helping you gather evidence and documentation, and pursuing negotiations. Even the smallest mistake can put adequate compensation in jeopardy, so it is best to navigate the claims process with professional advice.

When you follow these core steps, you have a better chance of receiving compensation for your injuries. Contact a pedestrian accident attorney for further help.